Thursday, November 6, 2008

Recession Depression

I've just found out that my company are making serious cut-backs, starting with the frivolous expenditure like our lavish Christmas party being cancelled. (It's normally held in a 5 star castle, yes we like to be posh so we do!), but nothing cuts a budget like dropping head-count. :o( It looks like my job is safe for the time being, with the extremely fortuitous timing of my contract renewal, unfortunately my friends were not so lucky. Already 3 of my close friends have been given their notice, and it looks likely that at least 2 more will follow after them. There's talks of moving to Australia and Dubai, and plans for cancelling house purchases, and it has me thinking:
If I was made redundant in the morning, what would I do?
Well, after the initial sobbing and crying, I think I'd go back to school and do that Masters I've had my eye on for a while now. But could I really drop everything to do with the TKD Club, after all I teach 4 classes a week, and train with another 2, could I really walk away from it all? It's starting to look like I need a genuine plan, and this is no longer idle fantasy.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Eeek. Good luck, girl.
It's so hard to work under the hanging sword of job uncertainty!

Siobhán said...

It really is, I'm actually in such a gloomy mood today. I thought I was going to cry in the canteen when the girls told me about their contracts. It's a bittersweet feeling to know that my job is more secure than my friends', I just don't know if I'd want to work here without them.